As the weather warms up it can be tempting to skip the studio to get your daily dose of heat outside instead. But stepping up your practice during the summer months can actually reap amazing rewards – benefits that aren’t available in winter. Here are some of the best reasons to maintain (and maximize!) your Bikram Yoga routine this summer!
Top 10 Reasons to Practice Bikram Yoga this Summer
- Bikram Yoga, practised in heat and humidity, can help you acclimate to the season’s warmth by “teaching” your body to cool itself more efficiently and effectively through sweat. It also arms you with coping tools (focus, concentration and deep breathing) to help you better manager when summertime temperatures reach unbearable heights.
- It works the other way around, too. When the yoga room feels cooler than the great outdoors, practising becomes a cakewalk! With a body (muscles, joints and ligaments) that’s already nice and warm when you enter the studio, you’ll likely find you’re more flexible and can go deeper into the postures during the summer.
- Bikram Yoga encourages you to stay well hydrated by keeping on top of your water intake and replenishing your electrolytes regularly. During the hot summer months this can be a boon outside the hot room, too!
- Warmer weather often translates into a lighter appetite, which in turn means you’re less inclined to scarf down a steak or polish off a big bowl of chili right before class. This can take your Bikram Yoga practice to a new level by relieving you of that “full” feeling and letting you go much deeper into the postures.
- The summer heat can make you feel stifled and sluggish; Bikram Yoga is a great way to fill your tank with energy by increasing your oxygen intake and balancing the various systems of the body.
- Bikram Yoga is a great physical workout, burning a plethora of calories per 90-minute class and buffing your bod in all the right places. You’ll look great and feel more comfortable and confident in your skin – not to mention swimsuit – all summer long!
- Unlike winter, when people like to hibernate at home, summertime means patios and parties – lots and lots of patios and parties. Make sure you sweat all those extra toxins out of your system by committing to regular stints in the hot room!
- Summertime is your time – what better way to spend it than by focusing on your health and wellbeing and fitting in plenty of “me” moments with daily Bikram Yoga sessions that force you to forget about everything else and focus solely on you?
- Planning on swimming, hiking, sailing, biking, jogging, beach volleyball-ing and doing any number of other fun summertime sports? Bikram Yoga will give you the athletic upper hand no matter what outdoor activity you choose, increasing your strength, stamina, balance and co-ordination.
- We’re not saying you shouldn’t come to class this summer BUT, with more students planning out-of-town vacations this season you may just wind up in several intimate classes, where the teacher’s able to devote some extra personal TLC to a smaller group of students. This can really benefit your practice, allowing you to soak up more knowledge and ask all your burning questions before and after class!
Tell us why you’ll be practising Bikram Yoga this summer by leaving a comment below!
Categorised in: Benefits of Hot Yoga